
Roku XDS Netflix Streaming Media Player 1080p
I recently ordered the Roku XDS Digital Media Player. It arrived in the mail pretty quick and was really easy to setup. I connected it to my TV via HDMI. Right away I was really impressed with the video quality. I got it mainly to watch Netflix but I soon found out there are many other channels available from Roku's channel store, many are free.

Whats really awesome is Roku has opened up channel creation to developers who can freely download a SDK (software development kit) and develop new channels. There are many private channels available that were developed by end users, many are free. Roku has three models to choose from, they cost $59.99,$79.99, and $99.99 none of which is going to break the bank. I have the $99.99 one. I really am amazed how well it works for the price.

Here is a link to a Roku Channel database, this data base keeps up with all the currently available channels (private ones included) that you can add to your Roku Player
http://www.roku-channels.com/
If you have some experience with the Roku Player, please feel free to share your thoughts with us all here by adding a comment.. what do you think of the Roku Player?
Roku XD|S Streaming Media Player Specifications:
Networking
802.11n Wi-Fi (b/g/n compatible) with WEP, WPA and WPA2 support
Dual-band 802.11n (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz)
10/100 Base-T Ethernet
Video Outputs
Composite video (480i)
Component video (720p/480p). Requires Roku XDS component cable (sold separately)
HDMI (1080p/720p/480p)
Video Modes
1080p High Definition (HD)
720p High Definition (HD)
16:9 anamorphic / 4:3 standard
Audio Output
Analog stereo (left/right RCA)
Optical digital audio (5.1 surround sound pass-through and stereo)
Digital over HDMI (5.1 surround sound pass-through)
Remote Control
Roku enhanced remote (with Instant Replay, Back and Options buttons)
Compatible with various universal remotes
Power Input
External AC adapter (5V, 2.5A)
Other Ports
USB 2.0 port (enabled via free software upgrade expected Dec 2010). Video support: MP4, M4V (H.264). Audio support: MP3, AAC, M4A. Image support: JPG, PNG
Power Consumption
6 watts peak, 4 watts in standby
Size
4.9 x 4.9 x 1.2 inches (125 x 125 x 30 mm)
Weight
7.2 oz (203 grams)
Roku XD|S Streaming Media Player Specifications:
Networking
802.11n Wi-Fi (b/g/n compatible) with WEP, WPA and WPA2 support
Dual-band 802.11n (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz)
10/100 Base-T Ethernet
Video Outputs
Composite video (480i)
Component video (720p/480p). Requires Roku XDS component cable (sold separately)
HDMI (1080p/720p/480p)
Video Modes
1080p High Definition (HD)
720p High Definition (HD)
16:9 anamorphic / 4:3 standard
Audio Output
Analog stereo (left/right RCA)
Optical digital audio (5.1 surround sound pass-through and stereo)
Digital over HDMI (5.1 surround sound pass-through)
Remote Control
Roku enhanced remote (with Instant Replay, Back and Options buttons)
Compatible with various universal remotes
Power Input
External AC adapter (5V, 2.5A)
Other Ports
USB 2.0 port (enabled via free software upgrade expected Dec 2010). Video support: MP4, M4V (H.264). Audio support: MP3, AAC, M4A. Image support: JPG, PNG
Power Consumption
6 watts peak, 4 watts in standby
Size
4.9 x 4.9 x 1.2 inches (125 x 125 x 30 mm)
Weight
7.2 oz (203 grams)
I love all the Discovery Channel and History Channel shows on Netflix streaming.
ReplyDeleteI use mine on FIOS it works great...Love it.
ReplyDeleteI have had my original n1000 model since 2008 packed away, after seeing all the great stuff thats now available I'm hooked all over again..
ReplyDeleteBruce
I was just got finished watching several podcasts from the technology section on iTunes using my Roku box and the new iTunes podcasts channel, aperson could spend all day on that channel, which I almost have... ;-)
ReplyDeleteI just discovered that my Roku xds outputs video from the HDMI and the composite outputs at the same time, this works great with my DVD recorder to record anything playing on my Roku.
ReplyDeleteIt is fast, flexible, cost-effective High-definition media player that can be networked with your PC through an Ethernet port or Wi-Fi. These features make it so special. I love Roku.
ReplyDeleteAudio visual hire
Fine information. Thanks so much, have a good day!
ReplyDeleteDigital Media Recorder